A State Department spokeswoman said: “We are studying it and will respond through the EU, but unfortunately it is not constructive.”
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanani said in a Telegram statement that Iran sent a response to the EU on Thursday after careful consideration.
“The texts sent have a constructive approach aimed at finalizing the negotiations,” the statement said.
CNN has reached out to the EU for comment.
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdullahian this week said an investigation by the United Nations nuclear watchdog into traces of uranium previously found at an undeclared Iranian research facility would agree Tehran to return to the deal. It repeated that it had to finish before.
US officials have previously expressed optimism about the latest efforts to revive the nuclear deal the US withdrew from in 2018 during the Trump administration, a deal Tehran has increasingly violated since then. They also emphasized that a gap remains between the two sides.
It is also expected to face significant domestic opposition from members of the US Congress and has been criticized by Israel, whose prime minister said he would “act to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear power”. The negotiations are also set against the backdrop of ongoing concerns over threats from Iran and Iran-backed military groups.