Having a clean, clear skin is any woman’s pride – even men desire it. But – an occasional pimple showing here or there on the face is a common facial blemish in people of all ages; don’t be surprised, even babies are not spared. It is a more typical skin disorder with adolescents. Your face being an ambassador of the skin speaks loud about how much you care for your skin and appearance. So how can you remove pimples naturally from your face without indulging in skin-damaging chemicals? Or better still when you have won the battle – how do you prevent pimples from forming on your face? We will examine some natural ways of both removing and preventing pimples permanently to your relief in this article.
Acne Vs. Pimples: Are they the same?
Even though it is common for people to use the term ‘acne’ and ‘pimples’ interchangeably, they are not exactly the same. Rather, pimples are characterized by the appearance of swollen or spotted breakouts on the face. Pimples occur when the pores of the skin are clogged up with an accumulation of dead skin cells and sebum – the naturally-produced oil under the skin. Bacteria may settle on all this skin debris and feed on them, thereby causing inflammation. The pimples may appear as blackheads, whiteheads or form reddish cysts under the skin. Pimples are generally not a permanent condition and can be removed more easily.
On the other hand, acne is a longer-term chronic skin inflammation or disease, more likely to occur in persons whose skin produce much more oil than normal; and pimples is one of the major symptoms. Acne can cause spots, pimples and/or black scars to appear on the face, neck, back, shoulders, chest and even the upper arms. The skin may appear reddish. Acne requires more dedicated treatment and possibly the help of a dermatologist to effectively and permanently remove both the pimples and the deep-rooted causes.
Also Read- How To Prepare Delicious Egusi Soup
What Causes Pimples?
- Excessive production of oil under the skin. If the sebum is not cleaned off, dirt and dead skin cells get trapped in the skin pores along with the oil, forming pus-filled pimples.
- Bacterial infection leading to skin inflammation. Certain kinds of bacteria can feed on the skin sebum and dirt; bacteria such as Propionibacterium acnes lodge in the base of hair follicles and while feeding, cause the skin’s natural defense system to react to the unwanted invasion.
- Anxiety and stress
- Risky diet. High levels of sugar content in common foods like white bread, processed sugar and carbonated drinks can lead to breakouts.
- Hot and humid climates that can affect the skin
- Genetics (family traits)
- Hormonal imbalance. High levels of the hormone testosterone may occur in both males and females, which can lead to excess production of sebum. Some people produce more of this testosterone than others. Hormonal changes that accompany the menstrual cycle, puberty, or pregnancy are also largely responsible.
- Picking on the pimples too frequently with your fingers
- Using oil-based makeup
Natural Remedies To Remove Pimples Permanently from your Skin
You might want to try these home remedies on your face and skin to remove pimples. It is good to first do an experimental patch test on a small part of affected areas of your skin, to see if the ingredients are compatible with your skin type. That being said, check out the following remedies for a permanent relief from pimples. And don’t forget, you must stick to the routine, not going on and off if you truly want a permanent dismissal of the pimples.
Ripe banana peels
You enjoy bananas, right? Before you throw away that peel, rub the inner white part gently on your skin for about 10 minutes and wash your face afterwards. Repeat this procedure twice everyday for a couple of days.
Rub honey all over your face and leave it to penetrate for 30 minutes before washing it off with some warm water. You can even mix cinnamon powder with honey for better results. Honey is an effective antibiotic, and cinnamon is anti-inflammatory. A third option is to mix lemon juice with honey, and apply with cotton ball all over your face; leave it for a few minutes before rinsing off.
Also Read- How to Make Delicious Nigerian Puff Puff
Apple cider vinegar
Dilute one part of apple cider vinegar with 3 parts of water and apply it to your skin (with clean cotton wool), then leave it for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing it off. Apply a moisturizer afterwards. Apple cider vinegar is known to be acidic, which can kill off the bacteria and dry out the pimples easily.
Tea tree oil.
Mix 2 drops of tea tree oil with about 10 to 12 drops of a good carrier oil (such as coconut or jojoba oil) and apply it directly to the pimples spots. You may wash your face before doing so. Tea tree oil is well known for its antimicrobial properties.
Mix turmeric with water or milk and apply it as a mask on your face (or areas affected by pimples).
You can rub aloe Vera gel all over the pimples for a few minutes, then wash it off. Aloe Vera is very soothing to the skin and a great moisturizer. Optionally, you can crush just two cloves of garlic and mix it with the Aloe Vera gel; apply it on the pimples and leave it for about 20 minutes before washing off the mask with warm water.
Make some paste with baking soda and water, then gently rub it on the pimples and leave it for 10 minutes before washing it off. Repeat this procedure every other day (a day on, a day off). Baking soda is known to exfoliate the skin and help to maintain the skin’s pH balance.
Other effective skin remedies for removing pimples permanently include the use of green tea, crushed cucumber mask, applying drops of witch hazel, smear of toothpaste, a mask of gram flour paste, and egg white mask.
How To Prevent Pimples
- Wash your face twice daily with warm water and mild soap (or cleanser).
- Do not scrub the skin too vigorously.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly. It is best to use an exfoliator containing salicylic or glycolic acid.
- Reduce exposure of your skin to the sun. And use sunscreen to protect your skin from the harsh rays of the sun.
- Learn to stay in cool and dry places in you are in a humid climate to reduce sweating.
- Avoid bursting your pimples to prevent scars forming.
- Learn to stop touching your face frequently.
- Avoid oily or greasy hair products, and keep your hair clean.
- Wash your hands frequently particularly before using any cosmetic or makeup on your skin.
- Wear more of loose clothing to allow your skin to breathe – particularly if you have pimples or acne on your shoulders, back and chest.
Avoid using oil-based products for your skin. Also remove makeup before you sleep.